Helping to get Canadians more active starts with more healthcare professionals encouraging their patients to get moving and prescribing activity. People are more likely to start down the road to lifestyle change with a prescription from a trusted healthcare professional.
With physical activity the top form of preventative healthcare, too many Canadians are not moving enough. A prescription from a trusted healthcare professional has proven to be a more effective way to help them get started. This prescription:
- is easy and quick to give
- Provides a range of options for your patients depending on their lifestyle, fitness level and access to facilities
- Allows you to hold them accountable through reporting on our website and app
Who Can Prescribe?
Prescribers are partners who write prescriptions directly to patients. This includes:
- Medical Doctors
- Nurses Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
- Registered Pharmacists*
- Mental Health Practitioners*
- Behavioural Counsellors*
- Social Workers*
- Massage Therapist
*Must be in a dedicated practice relationship with a medical doctor or nurse practitioner, with shared medical records and/or continuity of patient care.
Prescription To Get Active prescribers are required to be in a clinical or counselling setting and must be directly affiliated with a medical doctor or nurse practitioner-led clinic. Partners would not include healthcare professionals with a private business or organization.
To see a complete list of who and who can not prescribe, read the Prescriber Package
How to Become a Prescriber
Health teams, clinics and independent healthcare professionals can become prescribers under the chapter in your area. In order to become a prescriber:
- Check to see if there is a chapter in your region.
- If you are a member of a health team (PCN, FHT, FHO, etc) check to see if your organization is already a member
- Read through the Prescriber Package
- Complete the online application to become a partner
- Get approval and sign a partner agreement
- Start prescribing
If there is not a chapter in your area, talk to us about how you can help to get one started.
Check out who is prescribing and what activity options are in your area already:
Use the 'City' dropdown to see healthcare partners from that region.
Want to be a healthcare partner?