Interested in becoming a member of the Prescription To Get Active program?
For primary care organizations, recreation facilities or supporters of the program:
Physical inactivity is a public health problem and sedentary lifestyles exposes a patient to a greater risk of dying than smoking, obesity, hypertension and high cholesterol. Our program aims to improve patient’s overall health by increasing physical activity as it has proven effective in the treatment and prevention of such chronic diseases.
RxTGA relies on key partnerships formed between primary care providers and health-oriented organizations. Read the following to determine if a membership with RxTGA is the right step for you and your organization.
What is involved for members?
All interested recreation facilities, organizations and individuals are asked to sign a membership agreement to join the federal Prescription to Get Active Not for Profit Corporation. Futher information can be found on the Contact page.
The RxTGA’s membership currently includes chapters across Alberta and Ontario and is growing to include chapters nationally. Chapters have the autonomy to manage themselves and will have the authority to approve new members to their group; each new member must also join the national not-for-profit. Each chapter will provide the flexibility to work with their local recreation facilities and to adapt the program to meet the specific needs in their community.
The national body is responsible for approving the creation of new chapters and to provide support in this capacity, policies for chapters to follow, advocacy, fund raising from national organizations and the federal government and brand management.
All chapter start up resource, templates and other important documents are provided once the membership has been approved.
What are the benefits of becoming a member?
Becoming a member will ensure you and your organization continues to receive the following benefits:
- The ability to contribute as a participating member in your local chapter;
- Quarterly newsletters that include program statistics and updates;
- Permission to use the Prescription to Get Active logo (and accompanying visual guidelines)
- PDF and design files for marketing and promotional materials
- Access to the collaborative section of the website for resource sharing, program planning, policies and other updates
- An invitation to attend the corporation’s Annual General Meeting and voting to elect the RxTGA NPC’s Board of Directors
What are the benefits of becoming a recreation facility member?
All member recreational facilities and organizations will benefit through:
- Promotion of their corporate image through the website and other RxTGA materials
- Increase in member awareness and public visibility (e.g. brand recognition)
- Potential expansion of member client base and membership enrolment
- Opportunity to build new community networks, including other member facilities, community organizations, professional groups and primary care providers.
- Positive corporate social image through association with a not-for-profit cause and public health initiative (thereby demonstration of commitment to and concern for community well-being)